You haven't had the best vegan spaghetti until you've tried this one. This easy vegan spaghetti with homemade seitan ground "beef" will satisfy all your cravings while providing plenty of protein and nutrients.
This vegan spaghetti recipe is one of my favorite things to throw together on a busy weeknight.
I always have several batches of my homemade seitan ground "beef" prepped and on hand in the fridge or freezer. It's the perfect plant-based meat substitute to make a homemade vegan spaghetti sauce.
Ingredients For The Best Vegan Spaghetti
This recipe is so easy! Once your vegan ground beef is prepped, there are only 3 simple ingredients needed.
- Vegan seitan ground "beef"
- Whole wheat spaghetti (thin is my favorite) - You could also use regular spaghetti noodles if you prefer.
- Marinara or tomato sauce of choice (my favorite is Rao's)
See recipe card for quantities.
Here's how to make the best vegan spaghetti you'll ever eat.
Prep seitan ground beef.
Heat a large pot of salted water over medium-high heat. Cook spaghetti according to package instructions until al dente. Drain pasta water. Then add a little olive oil to keep the cooked pasta from sticking together.
Combine the marinara sauce and the seitan ground beef in a small pot over low heat and cook until warm throughout.
Plate the spaghetti and add a heaping scoop of the vegan "meat" sauce. Enjoy!
Feel free to try this recipe a variety of ways!
- Gluten-Free - If you cannot eat gluten, you can opt for gluten-free pasta and find a gluten-free vegan ground beef substitute or vegan meatballs at the store. (Seitan is not gluten-free)
- Extra Veggies - You could certainly saute some veggies in a large skillet over medium heat with a little olive oil and add them to the sauce before plating. Veggie additions could be bell peppers, diced tomatoes, diced onion, sun-dried tomatoes, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, etc.
- Toppings - Add vegan parmesan cheese, nutritional yeast, vegan mozzarella cheese, bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, fresh basil, or red pepper flakes on top for extra flavor.
- Low-Carb - Use spaghetti squash as the "pasta" instead of whole wheat spaghetti noodles.
- Homemade Spaghetti Sauce - If you prefer to make your own pasta sauce out of roma tomatoes or tomato paste, veggies, and spices, go for it!
- Extra Carbs - For an extra-carby comfort food meal, serve with vegan caesar salad, vegan garlic bread, and/or crusty bread with vegan butter
Even if you aren't vegan, you'll be hooked the first time you bite into this vegetarian spaghetti recipe. My fiance still eats meat products, but he loves this recipe as much as I do!
If you have extra batches of my vegan ground beef on hand and are looking for more pasta recipes, you should also try my vegan lasagna!
Store the cooked spaghetti with meat sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days or for 1-3 months or more in the freezer.
I recommend always having plenty of my seitan ground beef prepped ahead of time in your freezer to make this and other recipes so quick and easy.
I typically prep multiple batches of seitan at one time to have a homemade vegan protein source always available in a pinch. It'll last for months in the freezer!
If you tried this recipe, leave a comment and rating!
Best Vegan Spaghetti with "Meat" Sauce
- large pot
- Sauce pan
- food processor (for seitan beef)
- cookie sheet, (for seitan beef)
- large bowl (for seitan beef)
- 1 batch seitan ground beef
- 1 32 oz jar marinara sauce (my favorite is Rao's)
- 1 16 oz whole wheat thin spaghetti
- Prep seitan ground beef.
- Heat a large pot of salted water over medium-high heat. Cook spaghetti according to package instructions until al dente. Drain pasta water. Then add a little olive oil to keep the cooked pasta from sticking together.
- Combine the marinara sauce and the seitan ground beef in a small pot over low heat and cook until warm throughout.
- Plate the spaghetti and add a heaping scoop of the vegan "meat" sauce. Enjoy!